In 1923, St Rose and St Catherine were designed by Gill and built by Maxwell and two of his brothers-in-law (Philip and Bernard Baker) for two ladies by the names of Miss Mott and Miss Hinde – these may have been teachers at the Guild school. From 1924 until 1959 St Rose was occupied by Joseph Cribb and his family. St. Catherine (now called Brambleside) was occupied by Philip Hagreen in 1924 and later by David Pepler and his wife Betty who was Gill’s daughter.
Many years later Hagreen recalled St Catherine’s as follows:
“The walls were bare brick, whitewashed and the floors downstairs tiled in red earthenware; the floors of the bedroom upstairs were of plain wooded boarding in which the boards had sunk to leave cracks wide enough to allow dust etc to fall into the rooms below. The roof was thatched and heating was by open fireplaces, the largest on the living room having its bread oven. The outside earth closet backed onto that of St Rose’.
Estate agents particulars of St Rose – https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=23802257&sale=30008565&country=england